Calling all great and historic gardens in the UK!
Are you interested in hosting a trainee gardener?
We would like to invite Expressions of Interest from gardens for placements starting in September 2017.
We specialise in training professional gardeners for careers in historic gardens. We work alongside historic garden owners and their professional garden teams to bring out the best in a trainee. Please submit an expression of interest for a placement starting 1st September 2017.
- A formal training structure
- Bursary sponsorship
- Garden open to the public
- Minimum of 3 trained garden staff
- Diverse plant collection and facilities
We ask potential host gardens to think about these key things:
- Are all the staff supportive of a trainee position at the garden?
- Does your garden meet the above criteria for host gardens?
- Who is the best staff member to be the trainee’s supervisor and who could be their mentor?
- Who would deliver weekly identification tests?
- Would you prefer a 1 year or a 2 year trainee (N.B. 2 year trainees have 6 weeks of study blocks each year)
- Can you provide a salary in line with the National Minimum Wage and National Living Wage? (Our bursary is £6,696 p.a., so you would need to fund the additional amount.)
‘Throw your hat into the ring’ and send us your Expression of Interest (EOI). The closing date to submit an EOI is Friday 16th December. We would encourage plenty of discussions, so please do not hesitate to call the Scheme Manager directly (07867 537 945) and talk through the possibility of having a HBGTP trainee at your garden.
The EOI form, FAQs and the Criteria for becoming a host garden can be found here.
Closing date for EOI forms: Friday 16th December 2016
Decision: January 2017
Trainee start date: 1st September 2017