Stream 1 Information
The Stream 1 programme is delivered over one year and consists of a full time salaried placement within an historic or botanic garden. Stream 1 is suitable for people looking for practical experience, who may or may not have a horticultural qualification. During your placement, you will complete 3 written projects based on your placement garden. You will also keep a technical journal, and will undertake regular plant identification tests.
Applicants for Stream 1 must be able to demonstrate an enthusiasm and commitment to a career in horticulture, and must have some previous practical experience of working in horticulture, either in a paid or unpaid capacity . No horticultural qualifications are required. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age at the start of the placement.
Posts are full-time and paid National Living Wage or above.
Please scroll down to see some of the key elements of a Stream 1 programme, and our placement gardens for 2019.
1 Year Placement
- Receive a full time, paid placement at a historic garden.
- Work alongside the team throughout the seasons.
- Learn about all aspects of managing a historic garden.
- Develop practical skills, such as plant identification.
1 Year Placement Gardens
- Aldourie Castle
- Audley End
- Hampton Court Palace
- Ness Botanic Gardens
- St Andrews Botanic Garden
- The Birmingham Botanical Gardens And Glasshouses
- Trentham Estate
- Walmer Castle
- Wrest Park